Facts & Figures
Estimation are based on data from the US, EU & China,
Every second, 50 patients receive antibiotics they don't need
$55 million is spent every day on antibiotics erroneously prescribed for a viral illness
Every day, 40,000 people are infected with antibiotic-resistant bacteria
Every hour, $3,500,000 is spent on treating patients with antibiotic-resistant bacteria
1. Hicks et al., NEJM, 2013.
2. European Surveillance of Antimicrobial Consumption Network (ESAC-Net), 2013.
3. IMS Institute for Healthcare Informatics , 2012.
4. China.org.cn by Huang Shan, January-2009. Available at : click here
5. Currie et al., National Bureau of Economic Research, 2010.
6. John et al., Clin. Infect. Dis. Off. Publ. Infect. Dis. Soc. Am, 1997.
7. Gallagher J, Triangle Business Journal 2009.
8. Fauci et al., JAMA, 2014.
9. Roberts et al., Clin. Infect. Dis. Off. Publ. Infect. Dis. Soc. Am, 2009.
10. CDC Threat Report 2013 | Antimicrobial Resistance , 2013.
11. WHO Europe | Data and statistics , 2014.
12. Hamad B, Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, 2010.